Friday, December 11, 2009

Do We really understand the concept of Forgiveness?

First off my I ask forgiveness for not blogging for so long of a time. That said, do we really understand the concept of forgiveness. I know that I have not had a complete understanding of it. I will, of course, expound on what I understand forgiveness to be. I will leave you to ponder my discourse.
Forgiveness does not mean forgetting. I do not forget that "infraction" that needs forgiveness. In fact, it has little to do with said "infraction" per say. Forgiveness has to do with a choice that one makes to not let said "infraction" to interfere with the present or the future. It is a choice to let go of the power, the control, of the "infraction" on one's life.
For example, a friend or family member breaks your trust by spreading rumors about you. This causes you great pain and can make you very distrustful of others. You harbor this injustice inside you and this hurt continues to build and you can not forget what has been done to you. The pain, the poison eats you inside and out. I am sure that you can relate to this. In fact, probably in a number of situations in your past.
To offer forgiveness then is a choice that you make to rid yourself of this poison and the pain. You choice to let go of it all and give up the power and control that has taken over your mind and heart.
Is it easy to do? No! But it is a powerful thing within itself. It is a freeing choice that liberates one from the chains that are put upon us due to said "infraction". It is a choice that says, Enough! I will not continue in this! I give up the power and control! I forgive, I let go!
What also happens is that the more we forgive, the easier forgiving becomes and we are open to live and love in a new liberating way.
So give it a try! Let go of the past and live anew.

1 comment:

  1. God's working his miracles through you. A timely reminder indeed that while we are harboring that "poor me" attitude, we could very well replace that with doing what God intended us to do in reaching out to someone else.

    ReplyDelete